Applying for I-485 and Social Security Number at the same time

By Atty. Chris Caday Lozano

On August 9, 2021, the USCIS announced that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.

A person who qualifies to be a permanent resident may be able to apply to obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. This procedure is called adjustment of status (AOS).  When a person applies for adjustment of status, he also applies for a work permit (EAD) and, if he is eligible, for a travel permit (“advance parole”). Generally, an applicant for adjustment of status must have entered the U.S. legally and have never violated his immigration status.

To apply for adjustment of status, you must submit a form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status plus supporting evidence and the proper filing fee.   Use form I-765 to apply for an EAD work permit and form I-131 to apply for an Advance Parole travel permit.

There are some exceptions to the general rule to qualify for Adjustment of Status.

Section 245(i) of the law provides that certain persons with old priority dates may pay a penalty fee and adjust their status despite entering the U.S. illegally or violating or overstaying their nonimmigrant status.

Section 245(k) provides that if a person is applying for AOS pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition, he is eligible to do so as long as he entered the U.S. lawfully and has not been out of status for over 180 days since his most recent admission.

Also, persons who are immediate relatives (parents, spouses and children of U.S. citizens) may adjust their status if they entered the U.S. lawfully even if they overstayed or worked without authorization without having to pay a penalty fee.  A U.S. citizen son or daughter must be 21 years of age or older in order to sponsor his parents for green cards.

Note:  This is not a legal advice.  You need to speak to an Immigration Attorney to analyze your personal circumstances.  We offer free consultation on immigration matters.  If you have immigration problems the Law Offices of Crispin C. Lozano can help you find a solution before your problem gets worse which could lead to deportation and family separation. 

Immigration News

1.       Budget package include plan for pathway to citizenship and green cards to millions of immigrants

2.       US expands eligibility for green cards and citizenship for children of parents who are born abroad and under assisted reproductive technology like surrogacy, provided one parent is a US citizen

Success Stories

For the month of July 2021, we received approvals from USCIS one naturalization application, one Fiancée visa petition, one removal of condition on residence and two adjustment of status applications.

Philippine Stories

This is the most critical time in our nation’s history.  We could lose our country to China anytime.  We already are under Chinese control in so far as our economy is concerned.  Chinese are coming to our country in record numbers.  About 3 million Chinese are in the Philippines working at POGO.  We are surrounded by Chinese big vessels which can occupy the Philippines in short notice.  Chinese are interfering in all our government agencies most notably in our election.  We cannot expect any help from the government as they are all pro-China and against Filipinos.  Only a People Power can reverse this trend.  Remember that Russia annexed Crimea, part of Ukraine?  China is just waiting for the right time and will do the same because our country has strategic location to China’s ambition of controlling the sea where most vessels pass.

Chris Caday Lozano, Esq. is an active member of the State Bar of California, the American Immigration Lawyers Association and San Francisco Trial Lawyers.  He practices immigration law, bankruptcy and income tax preparation since June 1999.  His contact phone is 1-877-456-9266, email:  Website:

Toll Free 1-877-4LOZANO for free consultation or Schedule an Appointment