Know Your Rights: If ICE Comes to Your Work Place (Employee)

Edited by Atty. Crispin Caday Lozano

The American Immigration Lawyers Association released for public information and sharing the listings of rights of every person in the United States.

All people living in the United States, including undocumented immigrants, have certain U.S. Constitutional rights. If immigration officers (ICE) come to your work place, they must have a valid search warrant or the consent of your employer to enter non-public areas. If you are undocumented and immigration officers come to your work place, be aware of the following:

  1. Do not panic and do not run away. If you are frightened and feel like you need to leave, you can calmly walk toward the exit.
  2. If you are stopped, you may ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says no, do not try to exit the building.
  3. If you are questioned, you may tell them you want to remain silent.
  4. You have the right to remain silent. You do not need to speak to the immigration authorities or answer any questions.
  5. If you are asked where you were born, or how you entered the United States, you may refuse to answer or remain silent.
  6. If you choose to remain silent, say so out loud.
  7. If they ask you to stand in a group according to immigration status, you do not have to move, or you can move to an area that is not designated for a particular group.
  8. You may show a know-your-rights card to an officer that explains that you will remain silent and wish to speak to a lawyer.
  9. You may refuse to show identity documents that say what country you are from.
  10. Do not show any false documents and do not lie.
  11. You have the right to speak to a lawyer. If you are detained or taken into custody, you have the right to immediately contact a lawyer.
  12. Even if you do not have a lawyer, you may tell the immigration officers that you want to speak to one.
  13. If you have a lawyer, you have the right to talk to them. If you have a signed Form G-28, which shows you have a lawyer, give it to an officer.
  14. If you do not have a lawyer, ask an immigration officer for a list of pro bono lawyers.
  15. You also have the right to contact your consulate. The consulate may be able to assist you in locating a lawyer.
  16. You can refuse to sign any/all paperwork until you have had the opportunity to speak to a lawyer.
  17. If you choose to sign something without speaking to a lawyer, be sure you understand exactly what the document says and means before you sign it.

Note:  This is not a legal advice and you should seek the advice of an immigration attorney for your personal circumstances.

We at our Law Firm will continue to monitor this Administration’s every move and protect and fight for our clients due process rights.  We believe that immigrants contributed a lot to the United States of America. 

If you have immigration problems the Law Offices of Crispin C. Lozano can help you find a solution before your problem gets worse which could lead to deportation and family separation.

Crispin Caday Lozano, Esq. is an active member of the State Bar of California, the American Immigration Lawyers Association and San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association.  He specializes in immigration law and personal injury.  For free consultation email or call ( 1-877-456-9266)

Toll Free 1-877-4LOZANO for free consultation or Schedule an Appointment