You can apply for Green Card and Social Security Number at the same time

By Atty. Chris Caday Lozano

On August 9, 2021, the USCIS announced that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.

A person who qualifies to be a permanent resident may be able to apply to obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. This procedure is called adjustment of status (AOS).  When a person applies for adjustment of status, he also applies for a work permit (EAD) and, if he is eligible, for a travel permit (“advance parole”). Generally, an applicant for adjustment of status must have entered the U.S. legally and have never violated his immigration status.

To apply for adjustment of status, you must submit a form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status plus supporting evidence and the proper filing fee.   Use form I-765 to apply for an EAD work permit and form I-131 to apply for an Advance Parole travel permit.

There are some exceptions to the general rule to qualify for Adjustment of Status.

Section 245(i) of the law provides that certain persons with old priority dates may pay a penalty fee and adjust their status despite entering the U.S. illegally or violating or overstaying their nonimmigrant status.

Section 245(k) provides that if a person is applying for AOS pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition, he is eligible to do so as long as he entered the U.S. lawfully and has not been out of status for over 180 days since his most recent admission.

Also, persons who are immediate relatives (parents, spouses and children of U.S. citizens) may adjust their status if they entered the U.S. lawfully even if they overstayed or worked without authorization without having to pay a penalty fee.  A U.S. citizen son or daughter must be 21 years of age or older in order to sponsor his parents for green cards.

Note: This is not a legal advice.  If you have immigration problems the Law Offices of Crispin C. Lozano can help you find a solution before your problem gets worse which could lead to deportation and family separation. 

Immigration News

The DHS issued a new guidelines for the arrest and  deportation of undocumented immigrants.  The guidelines focused on national security. crimes and border security as the government priority.

Success Stories

For the month of February 2022, we received approvals from USCIS four naturalization applications, two Fiancée visa petitions, three removal of condition on residence and four adjustment of status applications.

Bankruptcy Basics

  1. Bankruptcy will actually improve your credit within one year because your unsecured debts are discharged.  Although the bankruptcy will be in your records for 10 years, not filing bankruptcy will make your credit even worse until most your debts are paid.
  2. If you are being sued by your creditors, most money judgment can be eliminated in bankruptcy.
  3. Collection actions continue and you can be sued if you are in debt settlement.
  4. Chapter 7 will eliminate all unsecured debts.  If you are near retirement age, you must eliminate most of your debts.

China and survival of the country is the main issue in the Philippine election

Based on opinion of many political analyst, China may annex the Philippines after the May 2022 election because of China’s  ambition to control the West Philippine Sea and the important sea passage, which is needed for its global domination.  China is supporting BBM for President to control the Philippines.  When this happens, all of us including our children and grandchildren will become slaves of Communist China.  We will have no more country.  No other country will deal with us because we will be part of China. We need to unite in order to defeat the current administration  and its allies running for President.    Listen to Percy Lapid (or Lapid Fire) and Waldy Carbonell on You Tube and Facebook for details and more corruption in the government.

Note: If you have immigration problems the Law Offices of Crispin C. Lozano can help you find a solution before your problem gets worse which could lead to deportation and family separation. 

Chris Caday Lozano, Esq. is an active member of the State Bar of California, the American Immigration Lawyers Association and San Francisco Trial Lawyers.  He practices immigration law, bankruptcy and income tax preparation since June 1999.  His contact phone is 1-877-456-9266, email: Website:

Toll Free 1-877-4LOZANO for free consultation or Schedule an Appointment