You can apply for I-485 and Social Security Number at the same time

By Atty. Chris Caday Lozano

On August 9, 2021, the USCIS announced that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.

A person who qualifies to be a permanent resident may be able to apply to obtain a green card without leaving the U.S. This procedure is called adjustment of status (AOS).  When a person applies for adjustment of status, he also applies for a work permit (EAD) and, if he is eligible, for a travel permit (“advance parole”). Generally, an applicant for adjustment of status must have entered the U.S. legally and have never violated his immigration status.

To apply for adjustment of status, you must submit a form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status plus supporting evidence and the proper filing fee.   Use form I-765 to apply for an EAD work permit and form I-131 to apply for an Advance Parole travel permit.

There are some exceptions to the general rule to qualify for Adjustment of Status.

Section 245(i) of the law provides that certain persons with old priority dates may pay a penalty fee and adjust their status despite entering the U.S. illegally or violating or overstaying their nonimmigrant status.

Section 245(k) provides that if a person is applying for AOS pursuant to an employment-based immigrant visa petition, he is eligible to do so as long as he entered the U.S. lawfully and has not been out of status for over 180 days since his most recent admission.

Also, persons who are immediate relatives (parents, spouses and children of U.S. citizens) may adjust their status if they entered the U.S. lawfully even if they overstayed or worked without authorization without having to pay a penalty fee.  A U.S. citizen son or daughter must be 21 years of age or older in order to sponsor his parents for green cards.

Note:  This is not a legal advice.  You need to speak to an Immigration Attorney to analyze your personal circumstances.  We offer free consultation on immigration matters.  If you have immigration problems the Law Offices of Crispin C. Lozano can help you find a solution before your problem gets worse which could lead to deportation and family separation. 

What will happen if the Philippines become part of China?

If the Philippines become part of China, it will have a far reaching effect on immigration and on overseas workers.  We can no longer petition our relatives because the U.S. will not consider the Philippines as independent country.  Many countries importing Filipino workers will no longer do it because they will think that we are Chinese spies.  Most countries we deal with like Canada, Japan, Australia, and European countries will not hire Filipino workers because we are considered Chinese spies.  We will be slaves in our own country.  We cannot expect other countries to fight for us.    We lost our dignity and standing among people of the earth.  Let us make a stand. 

Chris Caday Lozano, Esq. is an active member of the State Bar of California, the American Immigration Lawyers Association and San Francisco Trial Lawyers.  He practices immigration law, bankruptcy, personal injury  and income tax problems since June 1999.  His contact phone is 1-877-456-9266, email:  Website:

Toll Free 1-877-4LOZANO for free consultation or Schedule an Appointment